Tuesday, November 11, 2014

The trip to Bountiful! Cicely tyson with all star cast.

                          Best play I've seen in a long time!

 

The trip to bountiful was inspiring, sad, nostalgic, funny, just to name a few adjectives. When I read the advertisement in the LA Weekly newspaper. I keep thinking wow, I've never seen Cicely Tyson in a live production. I have to see this play! She is such a talented Actress. In my opinion a living legend! A true jewel to the acting community. I'm so happy that I did. Of course she did a fantastic job! In addition, her co-stars Vanessa Williams and Blair Underwood were wonderful as well.

The play is about an elderly woman revisiting her home in Bountiful, Texas before she dies. The challenge is that her son (Blair Underwood) and daughter in law (Vanessa Williams) who she lives with won't let her go because they're concerned about her health and other things (social security checks).  Once she escapes to her former home she reminisces on her life journey. The play made me think about my own home and the different experiences I encountered in my life. It made me think about my family, close friends and how precious life is.  Also how fast life goes by. It forced me to question my own existence and ask myself am I living life at my full potential.

Cicely Tyson's character name is Carrie Watts.  Which I couldn't remember for the life of me. I had to google it because I actually saw the play weeks ago. Unfortunately, I'm just getting around to writing this review. There were other story lines happening with Vanessa and Blair however in this blog I'm focusing on Ms. Tyson. 

I also learned that we must respect and honor our seniors because they have feeling too. Just because someone is over sixty five, walk slow or can't take care of themselves doesn't mean they don't have the same emotions that we do. The play made me more aware of our seniors and how we should take care of them.

If you get an opportunity to see it in New York or Los Angeles you won't be sorry.  I saw it at the Ahmanson Theatre in Los Angeles. I heard rumors that they might do a national tour. So I hope it comes to your city. I definitely recommend this play. I personally loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment